Setting up the remote sensor in the greenhouse

Two years ago I purchased an Oregon Scientific temperature display unit that had a wireless link to a remote sensor. The remote sensor was in the greenhouse. The reason for this was the terrible design of greenhouse heater, which was just a fan heater with a different thermostat. (I have blogged about this in the past, but on the previous blog whose entries I did not transfer in time are lost).

Late last year the readout unit disappeared from Mother’s living room – stolen, I fear, as most everything else that “disappeared” has since been found. The greenhouse had to go through the coldest winter in 18 years with a second dodgy heater (identical to the first that was definately no use, but newer). I set up the old heater as just a blower, and the new one to switch on and supply heat as and when.

The reason for all of this is because the greenhouse contains my pleonies, cymbidium orchid, cacti, pelargoniums and the wormery, as well as over-wintering the dahlias etc.

Anyhow, come another winter, and no idea how the “new” heater is performing;. I could not buy another unit of the Oregon type (no longer available), and the cheapest one that had a remote sensor was this ClimeMet unit (above).

Photo was taken in the greenhouse with the blower non-heater in the background. In reality the display unit lives in mother’s living room. So, from time to time I can ask mother what the temperature is, and on Sundays adjust the heater thermostat if necessary.

The Climemet unit has a “forecasting” facility based upon the barometric pressure (which it measures) as well as a barograph like display. The algorithm for forecasting is about as good as the words “storm” “rain” “variable” etc around the perimeter of an aeronoid barometer in anyone’s home. In the two days I tested it, it suggested:

Sun when it was tipping with rain
Vice versa
Sun after sunset
[Note in the photo, it is suggesting Sun, yet I needed flash on the camera to take the photo as it was dark; and the remote temperature is high as I had just taken the sensor into the greenhouse from a warmish car]

But that was not why I purchased it – it was the cheapest (indeed possibly the only) unit I could easily get with a wireless linked remote unit. In fact mother has just phoned me up, and in the conversation told me the greenhouse was at 4.4C and 82% humidity. Temp is OK-ish, but at least the heater has not gone mad, and heated the greenhouse to sub-tropical temperatures (a lost blog entry, due to heater 1).